If you are away or otherwise engaged and want someone to take care of your affairs, a “power of attorney” is a legal document that you can utilize to give someone else the authority to take specific actions on your behalf, such as signing your checks to pay your bills or selling a particular piece of real estate for you. If the power of attorney is “durable,” this power to act on your behalf extends to the point after which you become incapacitated. Otherwise, a power of attorney ends at the point of incapacitation unless there is a stop date incorporated into the document. There are also two kinds of durable power of attorney, one pertaining to finance and one pertaining to health care. Taking the time to draw up a power of attorney is worth the small effort it will take. If you have a power of attorney and something happens to you, you avoid the need to obtain a guardianship in the court system. To schedule a free consultation, please contact us at 262-633-8301 or through our website at pruittlawoffices.com, or visit the Pruitt Law Offices S.C. at 731 Main Street in Racine. We are your partners for professional service.