While most parents choose to divide their assets equally among their children, others choose to leave more to one child than another. This unequal distribution leaves many children baffled and even disgruntled enough to challenge the will. Sometimes the situation may be explained by the fact that an equal amount cannot be left to a special-needs child because doing so would jeopardize his or her eligibility for government benefits. In any case, when parents do not intend to split their assets among their heirs equally, they should either discuss the matter with their children or leave a detailed letter of explanation. How you choose to give away your money after your death has long-term implications. Along with your attorney, consider involving your financial advisor to address estate planning issues. To schedule a free consultation, please call Pruitt Law Offices S.C. at 262-633-8301 or at pruittlawoffices.com. Our offices are located at 731 Main Street in Racine. We are your partners for professional service.