Everyone should be aware that any individual over the age of 18 should have a valid General and Durable Power of Attorney as well as a Health Care Power of Attorney. Such documents can avoid the need for a future guardianship if you have incapacity issues. However, those persons who are not competent when they turn 18 years of age should have a guardianship prepared for them. Such persons could be suffering from developmental disabilities and the care taker should file for a guardianship of the person and guardianship of the estate to handle the health care decisions and the financial decisions. Pruitt Law Offices S.C. can help you with these issues. Please call for a free consultation.