*FREE consultation call  262-633-8301

Estate Planning

Our practice is located in a beautifully preserved 1843 historic home on Main Street in Racine, WI. This elegant building serves to anchor the southern end of Racine’s downtown business district

We are well established, emphasizing transactional legal services, including Estate Planning, Elder Law, Medicaid / Title 19 Asset Preservation, Special Needs Trust, Probate, Guardianships, Corporation/LLC set up, Family Law, Mediation, Criminal Defense, Traffic, Real Estate, and Bankruptcy.

We believe it is important to offer a wide variety of interrelated areas of law, to provide better guidance for our clients.



Family Law and Mediation

Criminal Defense and Traffic



Business and Corporate


Real Estate

Other Legal Services

Changing your name if you are an adult is a fairly simple process unless you hold a professional license, have outstanding civil judgments, or have a significant criminal history. A petition is filed in civil court and a hearing date is scheduled. The notice must be published in your local newspaper one time per week for three consecutive weeks prior to the hearing. If no one objects and the Court finds no other reason to deny your petition, your request will be granted. An attorney can help make sure the requirements are met and your name change petition is successful. 

You can change your name as a result of a marriage or divorce without using the above process.

Most name changes for minors require the consent of both parents.

Name Changes

TROs and injunctions fall into the following categories: child abuse, domestic abuse, harassment, and individuals at risk (vulnerable adults). While the proof needed and the remedies available vary somewhat depending on the type, the processes are much the same. A petition for a temporary restraining order (TRO) is filed and reviewed by a judge. If the judge determines that the petitioner has demonstrated reasonable grounds to believe that an injunction may be appropriate, the judge will issue a TRO. The TRO, once served on the respondent, prohibits contact until a hearing is held, usually within fourteen days. Depending on the type and the county, that hearing may he held before a circuit court judge or a court commissioner. At the hearing, the petitioner puts on his or her proof, the respondent has a chance to reply, and the court decides whether to issue an injunction. An injunction prohibits the respondent from doing certain things (harassing, contacting, going to a person’s house, school or job, etc) for a certain period of time.

The issuance of an injunction can have significant consequences for both parties. Violation of an injunction is a criminal offense. Although cases heard by a court commissioner can be tried again before a circuit court judge, generally, you only have one chance to present your case - whether you are seeking an injunction or defending against one. Having an an experienced attorney assist you is a must.

Temporary Restraining Orders/Injunctions


Child In Need of Protection or Services (CHIPS), Juvenile in Need of Protections or Services (JIPS) and Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) proceedings are held in juvenile (or children’s) court and are not open to the public. CHIPS cases typically involve some sort of abuse or neglect on the part of the parent. JIPS cases are for older children and may involve truancy, mental health, or substance abuse issues of the juvenile. Termination of parental rights must occur before a child is able to be adopted. These types of cases are very complex and address the fundamental relationships between parents and children. Because these cases involve such serious issues, children age 12 and older and most parents are entitled to have attorneys represent them per state law, regardless of the ability to afford counsel. Being represented by an attorney, whether you are parent or child, is absolutely necessary in these types of cases.